Michael Edward Johnson
Philosopher, neuroscientist, entrepreneur
Wrote a book on consciousness, Principia Qualia; co-founded QRI (left May 2022), currently founding the Symmetry Institute.
I think a lot about the far future and how to make it good
- Building a new science of consciousness. Long; short
- Novel neuroscience
- Principles of Vasocomputation — grounding of Buddhist phenomenology & active inference in physical mechanism
- Neural Annealing — unified theory of meditation, music, psychedelics, and trauma
- Autism as a Disorder of Dimensionality — single-factor, mechanistic hypothesis about autism and its tradeoffs
- Neuroscience of Meditation
- AI alignment & consciousness; AI constitutions
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If I’m not responsive please don’t take it personally; I’m usually writing/thinking. Currently interested in giving talks/interviews about my work.
Principia Qualia offered a blueprint for building a new science of consciousness; my efforts at QRI were aimed at realizing this. I’m now interested in fostering a diversity of such organizations.
My research is almost entirely funded by retroactive donations (current net comp from my writing is ~$.70/hr); if you like the work I’ve done, consider supporting it via hypercerts (coming soon) or a direct donation.